Friday, February 11, 2011

Creamy Cajun Gumbo

This past Thanksgiving my family rented a house in Lake Gaston, NC for the week. Dave and I drove down for the weekend and had dinner with everyone at the Waterview Restaurant. We got the creamy cajun gumbo and it was outstanding! We've been talking about it ever since, so of course I had to at least try to recreate it for my blog. I think it turned out pretty good and Dave gave it rave reviews as well. I looked at their menu online and found out it's made in a Sambuca cream sauce. I didn't have Sambuca on hand, so I used anise extract instead. I made the sauce a bit too thick, but that can be prevented by not dumping a giant handful of flour into the sauce. I panicked when it looked too milky and thin. Add small amounts of flour and stir and wait before you add more. I would definitely make this recipe again, and next time I think I'd like to add some shrimp to the mix. The restaurant version had shrimp but i forgot to get that at the grocery store. ooops.

I usually don't measure anything or write anything down as I'm cooking so I will try my best to remember everything!



Ingredients
  • 1 pound Hot Italian pork sausage, sliced into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 medium chicken breasts chopped 
  • 1 medium green pepper cut into short strips
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  •  2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 tablespoons of anise extract
  •  1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 box of Penne pasta
Directions
  1. Boil the chicken breasts and cut into small pieces
  2. Cook the Penne pasta in boiling water for approximately 7 minutes, drain, and set aside 
  3. Cook the sausage in a skillet until well browned, stirring often. Stir in the pepper, onion and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add cooked chicken and stir in Anise extract. Simmer until cream sauce is ready.  
  4. Heat the butter and heavy cream over medium heat in a separate pan, add garlic powder and cheese and stir until melted. Add 2 tablespoons of flour as needed to thicken the sauce. Stir until flour is fully dissolved.  
  5. Pour Sausage, chicken, and veggie mixture into the cream sauce and mix well. Serve over Penne pasta. 






3 comments:

  1. Steph-
    Got around to making this today- I made a few adjustments since I am making it for a crowd- quadrupled the recipe.
    Added Shrimp
    Used 4 lbs of sausage- 2 lbs of Hot Italian, 2 lbs of Andouille
    I browned the sausage, then softened the onion and pepper (green and orange for some alternating color) in the sausage drippings.
    Not sure how many pounds of shrimp I used (4 lbs maybe?). I added a smidge of olive oil to the same pan, minced garlic and red pepper flakes and sauted the shrimp- used some of the shrimp juice and added all this to the sausage now in a cast iron dutch oven.
    Dumped the rest of the shrimp juice- dried out the fry pan and again with a smidge of olive oil and more minced garlic and red pepper flakes- browned the chicken chunks.
    I did use Sambuca- much more than a few tablespoons (maybe a cup)! Simmered with the meats, seafood and vegs and prepared the cream sauce per your instructions.... Who knew the flavor that Sambuca adds to a dish... This is a gorgeous and delicious dish.... thanks for sharing your rendition of the meal shared at the restaurant- it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrice! I can't wait to try it again with your changes. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with taste buds that doesn't like this clearly has is not human and has no heart or soul. I pray to God on a routine basis that this will become a regular addition to my diet.

    Hands down, one of the best meals I've ever had. Twice + leftovers.

    ReplyDelete