Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

This is actually the first dish I decided to make when I came up with the idea for my food blog. Of course I consulted with my boyfriend/taste tester to make my final decision. The conversation went like this;
Me: "Any requests for dinner? I'm going to the grocery store at lunch. I was thinking homemade pizza or chicken enchiladas. What do you think?". Dave: "Oh my dear baby Jesus, enchiladas would be outstanding".

I've never made enchiladas before and chose an Emeril Lagasse recipe to start with. I've found his recipes to be a bit involved and complicated at times, but this one seemed simple enough. Every Emeril recipe I've tried has turned out amazing, and this was no exception. I made a few alterations to the original recipe; 1. The recipe calls for "New Mexican chili powder". I looked high and low for this stuff with no success. I even went to a grocery store with a HUGE International and Hispanic section. If anyone ever finds this so called New Mexican chili powder, please let me know. I would love to see if it actually makes a difference. I just used regular chili powder and added a dash or two of cayenne pepper. 2. I sprinkled the top of the enchiladas with additional shredded cheddar cheese. 3. I added two small cans of green chiles to the filling mixture.Also, the recipe calls for one onion chopped. I used a ridiculously huge red onion. I think red onions have the most flavor and I tend to incorporate them when a recipe is not specific about what type to use.
Anyone reading this, feel free to get me a Magic Chopper for Christmas. Thanks :)

My boyfriend and his roommate had started a power hour by the time the enchiladas were ready. Needless to say they didn't get eaten until much later that evening and then again for breakfast the next morning. I made enough for a family of 6 and they were completely gone by 11am the next day. I must admit that dishes like these are even better the next day. The picture was taken of the reheated enchiladas rather than fresh out of the oven since I forgot my camera that night. Dave was thoughtful enough to email me pictures of him eating them for breakfast. In his email he says "These things are so good it blows my mind". Just yesterday he asked for more chicken enchiladas in his life. Sorry, but it's on to the next experiment!
Dorje likes everything I make too! He's very impatient though.


    Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/4 cup New Mexican chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like things spicy)
  • 16 ounces chicken stock
  • 10 ounces tomato puree
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Salt
  • 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
  •  8 oz diced canned green chiles
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 10 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese for garnish
  • 1 cup sour cream, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Make sauce: In a saucepan heat 3 tablespoons oil, add flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook 30 seconds. Stir in stock, tomato puree, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until flavors are well-blended. Season to taste with salt.

Combine cheese, chicken, chiles and onion for filling. Heat remaining 1/2 cup oil in a skillet until hot. Using tongs dip in tortillas, one at a time, to soften, and drain on paper towels. Dip each tortilla in sauce. On a plate fill with a generous spoonful of filling and roll up; place enchilada seam-side down in a baking dish and repeat until all ingredients are used up. Top with remaining sauce and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Bake 30 minutes. To serve, top with sour cream.

mmmm. Enchiladas for Breakfast.  


Source: adapted from Foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment