Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

When I first came up with the idea for my blog, my friend Eric showed me a cookbook his grandmother made for him and for all of her grandchildren. It's called Mimi Cooks With Family and Friends. Her hope was to share a special part of herself with her seven grandchildren and finally compile the multitude of family recipes she's saved over the years, some written in notebooks and even on the back of store receipts she says. I was so honored to be able to make some of these special dishes.

As I was a bit crunched for time this week, I chose a simple recipe to start out with; Blueberry Muffins. Eric told me when he visits his grandparents in Connecticut, their neighbor Bea Foster always brings over a fresh batch of these blueberry muffins. The recipe is super easy and I already had all the ingredients in the house (except the blueberries). The prep time was only about 5 minutes. I was a bit concerned when the muffins didn't rise much so I cooked them a little longer than I probably should have. Eric says the "Beacret" to these muffins is that they're supposed to be flat, that's just the way Bea made them. I was glad to hear I didn't do something wrong in the baking process. It's just a rather dense dough which keeps them from rising and also I think that maybe my baking powder is getting a tad old. It's probably been in my mom's spice cabinet since the early 80's. Maybe Bea needs to replace her baking powder too. Anyway, these muffins were still delicious! The cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top is the best part. Dave and Eric seemed to like them. They were all gone the next day. I can't wait to try some more of Mimi's recipes, especially the old authentic Italian recipes. I hear her meatballs are the best. Thanks again, Eric!




Ingredients
2 Cups sifted flour
1/2 Cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1-1 1/2 cup blueberries

Directions
Beat 1 egg and 1 cup of milk. Add oil and mix well. Sift dry ingredients into mixture. Dust blueberries with flour and fold in berries. Put in muffin pan. Sprinkle top with 1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar before baking

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

Source: Mimi Cooks with Family and Friends. Originally from Bea Foster.

No comments:

Post a Comment