Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Glazed Pumpkin Doughnuts

I've never made doughnuts before or even thought about it, but I had a request from my boyfriend's friend, Emmeline. I'm glad she did because these were really fun to make. Anything deep fried is usually easy, fun, and delicious in my opinion. The dough must be refrigerated for at least two hours if not more, and even then it's very gooey and hard to work with. I had to add a ton of flour just to keep it from sticking to my hands and the counter. Also I definitely do not own a doughnut cutter so I got creative and used the rim of a wine glass to cut a circle in the dough and the cap to a half and half carton to cut out the center. Don't worry if they seem flatter than they should be, they expand as soon as you drop them in the hot oil.  I'm not a huge doughnut fan, but Dave and Eric seemed to really like them. The consistency is more cake-like than a typical doughnut and the glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness. Next time I'd like to try blueberry cake doughnuts, they're my favorite!

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • Oil for deep-fat frying
  •  
  • FROSTING:
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange peel

Directions 

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and butter. Add pumpkin and lemon juice; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden, about 3 minutes; turn once with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Combine frosting ingredients; spread over cooled doughnuts. 

 

 Source: Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment